Last night Gandalf and I had our first Jeep adventure.
We headed to Lookout Mountain in Golden, Colorado.
It's a beautiful drive up there as you're driving West, towards the mountains. I wanted to specifically be up there for sunset and boy was it worth it (even if it meant dropping and shattering my phone *sad face*). We first stopped at the preserve center park to walk around and eat dinner. Gandalf ended up drinking ALL my water but that was fine. It sure was hot here yesterday, BTW. It was supposed to be our last day in the 90's. I can't say I'm disappointed by that; I do not have air conditioning in my new townhouse.
Anyway, that preserve center is where I dropped my phone. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've dropped that thing and of course this one time is when it shatters, the glass on it anyway shattered. So, I decide we'd better head back down and head home since I had no phone. So, we headed back down the way we came. The movement of the animal going around one curve startled me so I slowed down immediately and then realized what that animals was. My mouth dropped and I cursed my dang phone for shattering on me and not working. I get to the bottom of the hill and at a stop sign, where I decide to check my phone. Lo and behold, it was working! I could see the screen anyway. So, I turned that Jeep around and headed back up the mountain to see if that animal was still there. I was going to get that photo. Annnnnnd, it was still there... dragging it's dinner further away from the road and into the woods.
Not that great, right? So, I zoomed in...
Holy moly.
My first Colorado bear.
And it was hungry.
Don't jump out the window, Gandalf!
We had a momentary stare down before it I got intimidated and drove off.
I was in awe. I'd just seen my first Colorado bear and it was eating its dinner. It was beautiful and scary all at the same time. I've seen bears in other states (again, from the safety of my own car) but I've lived in Colorado for 8 years now and this is the first time I've ever seen a bear here.
So, down the mountain we go.
And then.
Deer.
Three of them.
All on the very edge of the side of the road.
I did wait until I passed them a little to stop and take pictures. After all, I did not want them to run into my new Jeep.
Seriously, a bear and then deer.
Down the mountain we go...
And then!
A Blurry Photo.
I WAS stopped right in the middle of the road so I tried to be quick.
I think it was an adolescent Elk or something. It was way too big to be a deer.
An adventure indeed.
Of course, I also got to see a beautiful Colorado sunset.
I love this state.
I'm also ready for my next Jeep adventure this weekend.
-Nicole









No comments:
Post a Comment